Deciding healthy lunch is a very cumbersome task, although vegetarians have a lot of choices, still, it gets difficult for working people to prepare lunch in the morning hours, which is yummy and healthy as well. However, as we hear beetroot; the thing which clicks to our mind – Good for health with no taste. But here’s a whole new recipe full of taste which is simple to cook, colourful for kids and healthier for an adult.
Let’s get started….
|Total Time||35 Minutes|
|Prep Time||35 Minutes|
|Cook Time||25 Minutes|
For the Beetroot Dal
Mix Lentils / Dal – ½ cup (Split green gram, skinless green gram, split pigeon pea, split Bengal gram)
Beetroot – 2 chopped
Green chili – 2 chopped
Garlic – 4-5 medium size
Salt – 1tsp/ as per taste
Water – 1 cup
For the Dal Tadka:-
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Hing – 1 pinch
For Matar and Broccoli Pulao:-
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Cumin – 1tsp
Matar – 3 tbsp
Broccoli – 3-4 tbsp
Coriander -1 ½ tbsp
Salt – as per taste
Sugar – ½ tsp
Rice soaked – 1 cup
Water – 1 ¾ cup
Lemon Juice – ¼ tsp
- Take a pressure cooker and add half of cup dal i.e mix variety of dal (split green gram, split peigon pea, skinless green gram, split Bengal gram).
- Along with the dals add 2 beetroots (peeled and sliced them into half), 2 green chilies, 4-5 garlic medium-sized, salt and 1 cup of water.
- Cover and soak for 10 minutes.
- After that turn on the heat and cook for 5 whistles in medium flame and simmer it for 10 minutes in low flame.
- While the dal gets ready we can prepare rice as multitasking is very necessary.
- Let the pressure cooker be naturally depressurized.
- Once there is no pressure in the cooker, remove the lid and take out the beetroot from the dal. Take it into the bowl and mash it really well with the help of form and add back into the dal.
- Adjust the consistency of dal by adding water.
- Heat a small tadka pan.
- Add ghee (once it is really hot and smoky) lower the flame, add cumin seeds allow it to splutter, add curry leaves along with asafoetida (Hing).
- Tadka is ready to add it to the dal. Give dal a final stir, the dal is ready.
- Heat the saucepan at high heat and add 1 tsp of ghee.
- Once the ghee is hot, add 1 tsp cumin seeds (let them crackle).
- Add 3-4 tbsp of matter, 3-4 tbsp of broccoli (brings a new variation), 1 ½ tbsp coriander, a little bit of salt and ½ tsp of sugar and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of rice soaked for 10 minutes and after that add 1 ¾ cups of water.
- Also, add a little bit of lemon juice which makes the rice extra fluffy and non-sticky.
- In high flame cook the rice until the rice dances after that lower the flame and cook the rice for 5 minutes or extra moisture is dried.
- After 5 minutes of steaming and the rice will be done.
Pack this healthy meal and enjoy.
- If we do not have mix variety of dal we can also use only moong dal or only chana dal.
- If you want you can mash the beetroot in a mixer grinder.
- If you like you can mint instead of coriander for freshness in pulao.
- You can try adding some other vegetables like green peas, capsicum, and carrot.
- The quantity of water depends on the rice quality for the broccoli pulao.
- Adding beetroot in dal makes it healthier and colorful.
All set for a quick lunch idea. I would rate it 3.7 out of 5 Star…. what would you?